There are 25 gold medals in contention today, so a great day to watch wall-to-wall coverage. Or if you’re out in London, there’s a lot to see and do, with many of these events continuing for several days. For further info, visit the More than Gold website.
Cafés and big screens
- Watch Olympic coverage at St Mark’s, Kensal Rise; St John’s Community Centre, Wembley; St Aldhelm, Edmonton; St Michael, Chester Square; St Luke’s, Isle of Dogs; and St Barnabas’, Ealing.
- Drop in to cafés at St Paul, Old Ford; St Mary of Eton, Hackney Wick; Christ Church, Turnham Green; St Philip, Earl’s Court; or All Souls, Langham Place. St Luke’s Hackney are offering cream teas in the church from 3-6pm. These have been very successful the last two weekends, bringing in many who are new to the church.
Exhibitions and open churches
- The Parish of Old St Pancras is open for visitors, with tours of the church, evening concerts and hospitality in the churchyard. Different events take place at each of the four churches.
- Visit exhibitions at St Mary Woolnorth, St Lawrence Jewry, St Paul Bow Common and St Dunstan Stepney.
- Find out about Human Trafficking at UN:GIFT box venues. Some are at Diocese of London churches, St Mary of Eton, St Mary Upper Street and St Paul’s Cathedral.
- St Barnabas, Kensington is open, and Bow Church is providing simple refreshments and a quiet space for visitors.
- And our ‘Faith Walks’ churches are still open for visitors – why not take a group around one of the trails?
- St Luke, Oseney Crescent is very excited to be partnering with Kentish Town Community Centre to host a community games event. There will be fun for all ages including a toddlers’ crèche, bouncy castle, youth games tournament, drop-in cafe plus a BBQ and live music later in the evening.
- Clapton Park Games concludes this evening after a spectacular week-long festival.
- All Saints, Isleworth are having 24 hours of prayer for Olympic nations.
If you’re planning an event but haven’t registered it, please send details to elizabeth.harrison (Email: elizabeth.harrison [at] london.anglican.org) with ‘MAP’ in the subject line.
Share your stories
If you’ve just run an event and want to share how you’ve got on, or if you’ve had local press coverage, please send reports, photos and stories to olympicmobiliser (Email: olympicmobiliser [at] london.anglican.org).